Doris F. Taylor,
Doris F. Taylor, 84, of Georgetown, passed away peacefully surrounded by her loving family on Thursday, Nov. 22, 2007.
Mrs. Taylor was born on Aug. 16, 1923, in Baltimore, Md., daughter of the late John and Lillian (Phillips) Frisch.
Doris loved gardening and tending to her flowers and yard. She was a member of Zoar United Methodist Church in Millsboro.
In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Charles Andrew Taylor, in 2006, and a granddaughter, Jennifer Holly, in 2005.
She is survived by her three children, Virginia Taylor Sparks and her husband David of Georgetown; Charles Taylor and his wife Cindi of Chesapeake, Va.; and Sandra Starkey and her husband Timothy of Hunt Valley, Md.; a sister, Ida Beyerling of Aberdeen, Md.; five grandchildren, Sheila Kramer of Milton, Steven Atwell of Georgetown, Brian Reed of Georgetown, Jesse Taylor of Chesapeake, Va., and Monica Taylor of Chesapeake; and two great-grandchildren, Thomas Kramer and Chloe Conner.
Services and burial were private.
In lieu of flowers the family suggest memorial contributions in Doris’ name to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure, 5005 LBJ Fwy., Ste. 250, Dallas, TX 75244 or to Zoar United Methodist Church, 24463 Gravel Hill Road, Millsboro, DE 19966.
Arrangements by Melson Funeral Services, Millsboro.
John F. Salisbury Sr.,
Joseph Francis Salisbury Sr., 81, of Lewes, has “gone to a far, far better place than he has ever been,” and died peacefully on Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2007, at Harbor Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, in Lewes.
Born Nov. 23, 1925, in New Brunswick, N.J., Mr. Salisbury’s family moved to the Washington D.C. area. He attended and graduated from Gonzaga High School College. Due to his young age at graduation, Mr. Salisbury served a term as a page boy in the U.S. Senate. Following his service “on the Hill,” he enrolled at the University of Notre Dame. Shortly thereafter, he was called up and had already indicated his preference for the U.S. Navy. He served during World War II, aiming for his pilot’s license as part of the Naval Air Corps. However, the war ended and Mr. Salisbury returned to Notre Dame to complete his college degree, graduating in 1948 with degrees in philosophy and economics.
He graduated in 1951 with a law degree from Georgetown University Law School. He spent several years with the U.S. Attorney’s office, then worked on Capitol Hill on various committees. Following that work, he went into private practice. After several years, Congress created the Indian Claims commission where Mr. Salisbury worked as an assistant commissioner until his retirement in 1977.
Before and after retirement, Mr. Salisbury spent 22 years coaching baseball, from Little League-type baseball to American Legion teams, including coaching his namesake, Joe Jr., and his stepson, Paul Indeglia. When “Mr. Sals” (which was what all his teams called him) retired, American Legion, Bethesda Post 105 had a special ceremony for him so that he would never forget how important he was to the team and to the Legion (the Legion gave him a rocking chair and a case of beer so he could watch the Orioles games in prime comfort).
In 1993, Mr. Salisbury moved to Lewes, and the Woods on Herring Creek community.
He became involved with the community and its affairs, serving for many years as vice president of the homeowners association board of directors (he always referred to himself as “president-in-charge of vice.”)
He is survived by his sister, Kathryn Salisbury, of Lewes; his seven children: Michael Salisbury of Tigard, Ore.; Elizabeth and Matthew F. Salisbury of Virginia Beach, Va.; Carol and James A. Salisbury of Shippensburg, Pa.; Mary Salisbury Bieler and Thorsten Bieler of Hamburg, Germany; John A. Salisbury of Arlington, Va.; Robyn and Joseph F. Salisbury Jr., of Damascus, Md.; and Joann Salisbury Stocklin and Scott Stocklin of Northborough, Mass. His first marriage ended in 1977.
He is also survived by his wife of 21 years, Katherine Wanless Indeglia Salisbury, and his stepchildren, Allegra and Vincent A. Indeglia, Christine and Robert A. Indeglia Jr., Paul A. Indeglia and Karen and Marc A. Indeglia; and 10 grandchildren and seven step-grandchildren.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 11 a.m., Tuesday, Nov. 27, at Mary Mother of Peace Catholic Church, at the junction of Route 24 and Oak Orchard Road.
Interment will be held at the Delaware Veterans Memorial cemetery in Millsboro.
In lieu of flowers, please send memorial donations to The Gull House, Senior Care Center, 38149 Terrace Road, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971, where Joe spent so many happy days and years.
May you benefit from God’s blessings and love for all of you and yours.
Elva N. Will,
Elva N . (Giberson) Will, 89, of Lewes, died Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2007, at Harbor Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center in Lewes.
Mrs. Will was born in Mt. Holly, N.J., daughter of the late Frank and Alice (Park) Giberson.
She and her husband George moved to the Lewes area from Northeast Philadelphia, Pa., in 1999.
She was a homemaker, a member of the Lewes Senior Citizen Group and attended the Gull House in Rehoboth Beach. Mrs. Will enjoyed her four daughters and her eight grandchildren.
In addition to her parents, Mrs. Will was predeceased by a grandson, Steven Law, in 2005, and five brothers and six sisters.
She is survived by her husband George C. Will; four daughters, Elva Law and her late husband, Richard of Northeast Philadelphia; Shirley Dutkiewicz and her husband Ed of Abington, Pa.; Lorraine Fallon and her late husband Peter Jr. of Marlton, N.J. and Nancy S. Will and her partner Cheri Will of Lewes; eight grandchildren, Sharon Henderson, Richard Law, Denise Dutkiewicz, Cindy Fisher, Courtney Will, Daniel Murdock and Haley Will.
Services were held at Parsell Funeral Homes & Crematorium, Lewes, with interment private.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be sent to the American Lung Association, 1021 Gilpin Avenue, Suite 202, Wilmington, DE 19806-3280.
Wes L. Baron,
Wes L. Baron, 35, of Lewes, and formerly of Newark, died suddenly on Sunday, Nov. 18, 2007.
Born in Wilmington on Jan. 4, 1972, Wes was a 1990 graduate of Christiana High School and later attended Delaware Technical & Community College.
He was a professional commercial painter and was employed with New Wave Construction in Lewes. Previously, he had worked for Anthony Zigman Painting, also in Lewes.
Wes had many interests, including woodworking, crabbing and fishing in Indian River Bay, cooking wonderful meals for family and friends, and appreciating many different types of music.
He had a great passion and respect for eagles in nature and maintained an interesting collection of eagle figurines and artwork.
He is survived by his parents, George J. Baron and Betty H. Baron of Newark; a sister, Joyce Fangman and her husband, Don Jr., of Newark; sister, Jill Clayton and partner, Stephanie Walters, of Burlington, N.C.; his brother, Currie Wayne Clayton Jr. and his wife, Susan, of Lexington, N.C.; his brother, Joe Baron and his wife, Chrissie, of Newark; his companion, Jackie Abrahart of Angola; Jackie’s children, Lynsey Abrahart, Shannon Cooper and Rick Cooper; and six nephews and three nieces.
A memorial service was held at Spicer-Mullikin Funeral Home, 121 West Park Place, Newark.
In lieu of flowers, the family suggests contributions to Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research, 110 Old Possum Hollow Road, Newark, DE 19711.
Ronald Clarke Bauman,
An effervescent life came to an end on Friday, Nov. 16, 2007, when Ron Bauman, 68, died suddenly and too young in Lewes. He had spent his evening as he had spent his life: laughing with the people he loved. He was born Dec. 22, 1938.
Ron’s irreverent wit and sincere interest in others made him a sought-after authority, popular dinner guest and dear friend to many.
The protégé of David H. Stockwell, Ron was a nationally known expert in early Americana and a horticulturist who could be found in his eclectic garden of esoteric fauna and rare cultivars from March to late November. He was the proprietor of Ronald C. Bauman 18th and 19th Century American Furniture in Centreville and was formerly president of David H. Stockwell Antiquarians, with which he was associated for more than 25 years.
Ron graduated from Delaware Valley College in Doylestown, Pa., and received his master’s degree in horticultural science from the University of Delaware’s prestigious Longwood Program. He continued his studies at Kew Gardens and the Attingham Program in the United Kingdom, and was employed early in his career as assistant director of education at Mt. Cuba.
He married the former Missie Aaron Watchorn in 1990, and lovingly took on her family as his own.
Of Ron’s many interests, nothing brought him more joy than the happiness of his wife and his mother, which he nurtured generously at every opportunity.
Ron was active on the vestry of Immanuel Episcopal Church, Highlands, serving recently as the chair of the pastor search committee; and was an enthusiastic patron of Historical Society of Delaware, Brandywine Baroque, and Delaware Nature Society. More than anything he adored the people in his life, and he brought joy to all of them with his vivid, boisterous personality.
He is survived by his beloved wife of 17 years, Missie Watchorn Bauman; his mother, Florence Moyer Bauman, of Gilbertsville, Pa.; his brother Richard and sister-in-law, Carol Ann Bauman of Millsboro; his stepchildren, M. Karen Watchorn of Wilmington, Hunter Watchorn Hanley and her husband, Paul of Towson, Md.; and Vince Watchorn of Pittsburgh, Pa.; three step-grandchildren, and his spoiled feline companion, Marigold.
Services were held at Immanuel Episcopal Church, Highlands.
In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations in Ron’s name to the Delaware Nature Society, Ronald C. Bauman Memorial Fund, P.O. Box 700, Hockessin, DE 19707.
John E. Castle,
On Nov.16, 2007, John Castle was freed from his battle with Alzheimer’s disease.
John was a native of Minneapolis, Minn., where he attended secondary school. He graduated from Carleton College in 1940 with a bachelor’s degree in chemistry and received his PhD in chemistry in 1944 from the University of Wisconsin.
John was employed at the DuPont Company in Wilmington for 34 years, initially as a research chemist and ultimately in management in electrochemicals, energy and materials, and central research. During his career at DuPont, he published a variety of research papers in organic and biochemistry and obtained several patents on processes involving organonitrogen and fluorocarbon compounds. Following retirement from DuPont, John became an adjunct professor at the College of Marine Studies of the University of Delaware (in Lewes) where he helped to invigorate programs in research and graduate education and did research on chitin in his own laboratory.
During his life in the Wilmington area, John was a devoted participant in his resident community at Horseshoe Hill, an elder at Westminster Presbyterian Church, and a member of the school board of the Alexis I. DuPont School System. He was also an avid carpenter and gardener, amateur radio operator (K3MXH) and sailor, who frequented the Chesapeake Bay, Virgin Islands and taught courses in the Wilmington area Power Squadron. John’s final years were spent at Kendal at Longwood where he and his wife, Alice, became the heart of the amateur pottery community. John was a valued contributor to Kendal’s long-range planning committee and to the resident computer support facilities; he was also founder of the in-house television station. Throughout his life, he was an avid photographer, and he pursued this passion with his friend, Sarah Zimmerman, right to the end.
John Castle was preceded in death by Alice, his wife of 59 years. He is survived by his three children, David Castle, Mary C. Duncan and Nancy C. Pranaitis; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
A service commemorating John’s life will be held at 2:30 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 1, at the Westminster Presbyterian Church.
In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be sent to Westminster Presbyterian Church, 1502 W. 15th Street, Wilmington, DE 19806; or to Kendal Reserve Fund, Kendal at Longwood, Kennett Square, PA 19348.
Robert W. Dunning,
body shop owner
Robert W. Dunning, 76, of Clayton, passed away Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2007, at home.
Mr. Dunning was born Nov. 30, 1930, near Millington, Md., son of the late Arley and Laura Pearson Dunning.
He owned and operated Dunning’s Body Shop for 35 years and farmed all of his life.
Mr. Dunning enjoyed camping and vacations with his family.
He was active in Little League baseball for many years and still enjoyed watching his granddaughter play ball.
His main interest in life was his family and watching his grandchildren play all their different sports.
He was always there when his children and grandchildren needed their cars worked on.
Mr. Dunning was a member of Downs Chapel United Methodist Church, the Kenton Ruritan and the Delaware Farm Bureau.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by two brothers, Harvey and Carroll Dunning; and a niece and nephew, Nancy and Frank Dunning.
He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Jane Conley Dunning; a daughter, Brenda Dunning of Lewes; two sons, Robert K. Dunning of Clayton and Jackie Dunning of Dover; two sisters, Bertha Scotton of Dover and Katherine Shumar of Lewes; five grandchildren, Bridget Burt, Mary Jane Randall, Casey Dunning, Chris Hopkins and Aeron Jerrigan; and an adopted son, Dorsey Smith.
Services were held in the Faries Funeral Chapel, Smyrna, with burial in Odd Fellows cemetery, Smyrna.
Instead of flowers, the family suggests contributions to Downs Chapel United Methodist Church, in care of Virginia Jones, 6703 Sudlersville Road, Marydel, MD 21649.